The server that acts as an intermediary to client requests from other various other resources to provide route to the common sites are called proxy server. Proxy servers are classified into various types and it is differentiated based on the purpose. Depending on the purpose of usage, proxy servers are routed and all these contain common protocols. As there are lot more different proxy servers, we will discuss each of the commonly known types in brief over here in this article.
- Anonymous proxy – This acts as an anonymous proxy server and does not show original IP address. It is detectable and can provide reasonable anonymity for most of the users. This server identifies itself as a proxy server.
- High anonymity proxy – This will not identify itself as a proxy server and does not make available about its original IP address.
- Reverse proxy – The proxy server that does not include local policies are technically known as reverse proxy and is used to pass request over internet and through firewall by various private networks. This server will restrict user form having direct and unmonitored access to sensitive and isolate contents of the site and server.
- Transparent proxy – It tells the remote computer about IP details and does not provide privacy to network. This is used to access the ability to cache websites and is not effective in providing the anonymity of using those sites. Thus usage of this type server will result in IP ban.
- Distorting proxy – This server identifies itself as proxy server and gives incorrect IP address through HTTP headers.
- Intercepting proxy – This type is also known as transparent proxy. This will provide the details of proxy server through gateway and it can be easily identified with the server side HTTP header.
Types based in the browser protocol
- Socks proxy – It is a new protocol that allows relaying over different types of data along with TCP or UDP.
- FTP proxy – Based on the FTP protocol, the traffic is relayed and cached over internet.
- HTTP proxy – According to The Pirate Bay Proxy, this provides one way request to retrieve web pages.
- SSL proxy – An extension created with http proxy server allows relaying of TCP and other similar data. This is done to allow encryption of page requests
Once you find the details of proxy server types, you can find lots of information and unknown points that will help in understanding the facts.